Monday, July 15, 2013

Blenheim Palace

With another gorgeous day present & me not participating in the rest of the weekend's cycling events (a sportive on the road - pffft) - I had a whole day to get home in no hurry at all.  With family & friends absent from the obvious stopping point on the way home (Bristol) I started scratching around for something to go & see as I drove home.  Somehow I remembered that Blenheim Palace was not far off my route home (ten miles extra as it turned out) & I'd been meaning to see it one day as it was the birthplace of Winston Churchill and conceived to honour the first Duke of Marlborough, John Churchill, after his famous victory at the Battle of Blenheim.

The grounds are extensive & well worth walking around on such a pleasant summer's day.  I of course enjoyed the history throughout the house and just moseying around.  My little photos may be better than me rambling on...



The smell of all of the roses reminded me of my grandparents, but Colin St was not quite the same sort of palace.

No comments:

Post a Comment